Arnold Academy

Arnold Academy

Arnold Academy

Tel: 01582 616400
Email: admin@arnoldacademy.org.uk

Life at Arnold Academy Life at Arnold Academy Life at Arnold Academy Life at Arnold Academy Life at Arnold Academy Life at Arnold Academy Life at Arnold Academy Life at Arnold Academy Life at Arnold Academy Life at Arnold Academy Life at Arnold Academy Life at Arnold Academy

Houses

Each pupil is assigned to a House on joining Arnold. If possible, this will be the same house as any older sibling. Throughout school, the house identities and values are reinforced through assemblies and off-timetable days. Pupils are encouraged to earn house points (Values) by working hard and behaving well and these are accumulated, in a spirit of friendly rivalry, in a bid to outdo the other houses in the school. From Year 6 onwards, form groups, and some teaching classes, are house-based.

The four houses are named after famous historical Bedfordshire families.

Bruce

The famous Scottish Bruce family lived in Houghton House, just north of Ampthill, from 1624. The 1st. Earl of Elgin inherited it from the Countess of Pembroke and it remained the family home until Thomas Bruce, the 2nd Earl of Aylesbury, sold it to the Russell family (the Dukes of Bedford) in 1738.

House colour: Red;

Chosen charity: Samaritans.

Conquest

The Conquest family owned a manor house and land in Houghton Conquest from the 13th to 18th century. Conquestbury Manor stood in the south-east end of the village in land now occupied by Bury Farm.

House colour: Blue;

Chosen charity: Guide Dogs for the Blind.

Grey

The DeGrey family was a well known and respected local family, particularly in the 17th and 19th centuries when many members rose to positions of power in court and in government. The family lived at Wrest Park, Silsoe from the early 13th century until the death of Auberon Herbert, the 9th Baron, who was killed in action as a Royal Flying Corps pilot in 1917. The family mausoleum is at Flitton Church.

House colour: Green;

Chosen charity: Age UK.

St.John

Oliver St.John (pronounced Sinjun) was a prominent local dignitary in the 16th century. He was MP for Bedfordshire from 1547-1552 and High Sheriff of Bedfordshire and Buckinghamshire from 1551. He was created the 1st Baron St.John of Bletsoe in 1559. The family lived at Bletsoe Castle. The current (22nd.) baron is Anthony Tudor who sits as a cross-bencher in the House of Lords.

House colour: Yellow

Chosen charity: Shelter Box.